Sunday, September 25, 2011

Luke 17:6

So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you. NKJV
Jesus tells us that if we have faith, regardless of how 'large' it may seem, if that faith is strong and sure we can pray for real, tangible, observable things, and things which may seem fantastic to us but are the simplest of matters to God.

Perhaps it is not quite so obviously observable as having a mulberry bush follow my orders and transplant itself into the sea, but I want to begin praying for God's help in kicking bad habits and mannerisms, notably nail bitting, which I've actually worked at a few times in the past and for which in the last several weeks I've redoubled my efforts in breaking.

(( A Disclaimer:
For today's verse I began by writing the above. However, I didn't feel entirely content with what I wrote, and following one of our classes I realized that there was something much more important that God wanted me to know. Below is my second IBS for Luke 17:6 ))
----------------------------------------

Jesus tells us that with faith comes authority. As God's children and fellow heirs in Christ we can do great things.

In the past, and even now, amazing, supernatural things occur through God's power every day. We American's seem to rarely see it or be aware of it for faith in the tangible and 'scientific', and a part of us doubts the stories of even our most trusted friends when they share experiences that we would normally reserve for a place in fantasy; myth; legend; and of course, the Bible.

As it stands, I do not know if I have grown to such a faith yet. In fact, I am sure I have not, but as the man who cried out, "Lord, I believe, help me with my unbelief!" I also cry out, "Lord, I have faith, help me with my lack of faith!"

But whether or not I have YET grown to such a deep faith, God has promised us authority. I have no reason to shy way. There is no reason for us as Christians to not be bold, assured, straight foreward and confident, bringing God His glory with our daily lives and actions.

Not everyone is an extreme 'type A' personality of course, I'm certainly not, but there is a differerence between reservation and a reserved confidence, or silence for the fear of speaking and the quiteness that comes from being softspoken.

I do not need to hold myself back.

He desires to give us authority, He has given us authority, and I do not wish to be a mouse within the world when the God of heaven stands behind me and lifts me up.

The fact is I don't fully understand who I am or what God would have of me. Many people are just naturally quiet, not everyone is the center of a crowd or the life of every conversation, and often that quiet person can be me.

And that is fine. God has made everyone different, and one of the best prayers that I can make in seeking after God is, "Why have You made me a 'Dylan'? What type of 'Dylan' do You want me to be?"

Whether I am being quite or being loud, whether I am standing in the spotlight or sitting in the corner, God has a plan and a will for my life if I would only seek after Him, and I should have confidence of that fact.

I want to go through life with greater confidence, to work at and pray for more straightforwardness in my speech and action and to not shy away when I cannot claim total self-assurance in a situation.

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
To God our Savior,
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You have a great personality, sometimes the quiet ones are most often heard.

    ReplyDelete