Sunday, September 25, 2011

Luke 17:10

"So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.'" NKJV
In other words, when following God's will we should be 'saying', at least to ourselves, "I am not worthy of thanks. I am doing only what I am meant to do."

I know that there is no "out-blessing God", but this verse makes me wonder just 'how much' I am doing in my daily life and walk with God.

Now, the verse is not saying that if we do only the bare minimum we are unworthy of thanks; the point is that we are only servants of God and therefore it is our duty to do what He asks of us and calls us to. However, am I doing all that is my duty?

Obviously not since I am not perfect, in the flesh I sin and must repent for disobeying and continually seek after being more like Him, but aside from the things I should not do, are there any things I should do that I do not? Do I really fulfill every role of my duty to the best of my ability?

Even if I can't 'out-bless' God, I want to do everything I can for God, not that I can really do anything for God aside from being a willing tool, but at least that much, as best I can, in all I can, in thanks and gratitude for all that He has done for me.

I am going to pray about what greater services God may want of me that I am blind to in the flesh, and that He would reveal more opportunities to be used by Him, in big ways and small.

With that, I have been drawing on invite cards for an evangelical outreach called Skull Church* over the past week to make them more personal, and had resolved to work on one every day, but have fallen out of it already. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to work on one, so finding a few minutes during a break isn't very hard, but being busy I began considering it too much of a bother. I'll make a point of working on them again, and pray that God would like to use them in some way.

*Not something weird. Skull Church is referring to Golgotha, the hill of Christ's crucifixion. It is focused primarily on drawing in teens and young adults to the church and ends with a guest band and concert, but begins with worship and moves into a gospel message told straight and without unnecessary theatrics. (website at skullchurch.com)

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling,
And to present you faultless
Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
To God our Savior,
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment