Tuesday, December 6, 2011

James 2:12, do as those who will be judged. . .

So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. NKJV
I had to read through several different translations of James 2:12 before finally understanding exactly what it is saying. Instead of the word 'Liberty', the Holman Christian Standard Bible uses the word 'Freedom': and that's when it clicked.

How does someone act when they are judged by the law, but instead of being judged by a law of condemnation that binds, are judged by a law of liberty and freedom?

As can be the case when Christian liberty is brought up, some take it as license to do as they please, unmindful of the things of God. However, the Bible debunks this line of thought. [1 Corinthians 8:9; 1 Corinthians 10:23-33; Galatians 5:13; James 1:25; 1 Peter 2:11-25; 2 Peter 2:18-20]

So what does it mean to 'speak and do' as someone who will be judged by the law of liberty?

We are still being judged with no control of the outcome and judgment, but instead of being judged by the law that binds we are judged by the law of freedom. Therefore there is a humility we should have, as we are still judged, but judged with a law we can take joy in without the strength of our own actions.

With humility, submission in thanks because it is right to the will and desire of Him who offers us freely the 'better law' that gives us life.

Those who are judged by the law of liberty should “so speak and so do” with joy as they are made free from death and condemnation, by it given life and liberty.

We are given liberty to behave without worry and live with light hearts by joy, as there are no worries that compare to the condemnation we have been freed from.

We are to speak with mercy, love and kindness, and do likewise. We who were unable to fulfill the former law and are undeserving in every way to be given the law of liberty, yet have been offered it with love and kindness by the mercy of the perfect God; who stepped down and became the perfect man; to suffer and die as the perfect sacrifice; all out of love wanting to show us kindness and give us mercy by making us perfect in Him.

If we have been given such a good gift, shouldn't we act likewise? We are no more deserving of it than any other despite our thoughts and feelings at times to the contrary; so if a perfect God was willing to be a servant and sacrifice for us, we should not only be willing, but glad to do likewise for others who are just as undeserving!

I am so thankful to God for every opportunity I am given to bless others, to show love and kindness and to act with mercy even when, and especially when, those opportunities may come at some cost to myself so that I can emulate Christ who payed the greater price in saving me; and I ask forgiveness for those times when I fall short of His example, when I do not show the love, mercy and kindness I am called to, when I lack humility in my undeservedness, when I do not submit myself to His will.

I pray that You continue to sanctify me, change me and make me more like you everyday and give new opportunities for me to do as you have done, with a heart like yours, willing even to bleed.

Studies I'd like to share: Paige's, Michelle's

I pray
to God
that He brings
my heart
to want
what He wants
for the reasons
He wants it.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment