Saturday, April 14, 2012

Matthew 5:6, Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
So. I've been following the application from my IBS on the 6th, Mathew 5:3. No sweets.

Yeah.

It's actually been going pretty well. Although when I had felt like this was something I should do in the past and making the decision was difficult, once I got through the initial hurtle of making it a definite plan of action and telling those who can help keep me accountable it's actually been pretty good.

Not necessarily fun, but I know God hasn't led me to commit proverbial suicide by laying off the 'pastels y dulces' (desserts and sweets/candies).

It's been a week now, and I'll be honest by saying that I have 'cheated' twice; however, I did use moderation and it wasn't some loss of control, "I NEED SUGAR!!1" situation, they were special (and good enough I could have very easily taken much, much more. . .)

Having said that, next time I won't be making an exception quite so easily.

It's also beginning to become more apparent how this little 'lifestyle change' is going to play out, whereas initially the "rules" were rather undefined.

It's a learning experience, and I know God has His purpose for placing this on my heart.

There's the obvious physical benefits to my health, short-term and long-term, but I think it may also turn out to be a good exercise for character. I know God will also use this in some way in his purpose for my Spiritual growth; actually, in at least one way He has already begun.

Anyway, for all that I hunger and thirst for delicious things, I am willing to do this because I hunger and thirst for my God and His will for me all the more.

Likewise, Christ encouraged (exhorted?) us with these Beatitudes, and He says that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, those who desire it, those who want it, will be filled.

Their longing will be satisfied.

Those who want righteousness will receive righteousness.

Now righteousness is not legalism, and making the choice to be righteous is not legalistic. (See 1 Corinthians 6:12 and 10:23 for just a start on that.) (Not that giving up candy somehow makes me righteous or anything like that, I'm just making a point about legalism/righteous behavior, whereas the candy thing would be what I feel to be a following of His Spirit's lead.)

I think I might need to refocus on this 'little' virtue. Not, 'apply my focus' to righteousness, but in being focused on God, look again more closely to that pure, genuine righteousness He calls His beautiful bride to.

Written February 13, 2012

---
Seeking after you my God
Your will for my life
In every way

Loving you
Obeying in love
For You made us free

Paying a great price

You have been glorified

Allow me to glorify You

1 comment:

  1. Rightousness is something that I try and make sure I show in my life. And my walk with the Lord. But I have been recently persecuted for this and expecting it in others. I think that Rightousness and honesty go hand and hand. I am struggling because someone I know has been lying to me and being decieteful. It's hard because when your dealing with a chronic liar, you will never know if you will ever get the truth. I am trying to find something in the Bible that will be a comfort for me, but there isn't to many chronic liars I found in the bible besides Satan. Your thoughts? Have you had to deal with this in your life?

    ReplyDelete