Friday, May 4, 2012

Philippians 3:13, reaching forward to those things which are ahead,

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
Reading Philippians I had wonder whether this verse refers to "forgetting those things which are behind" as things which are good, or things which are bad.

I would say both.

Reaching for the things of God we leave behind all past victories and defeats, the triumphs and trials and happiness and pains. We remember them, take what lessons there are from them, but will be held back by grudges and pride clung to from those seasons of life not left behind when we go to press forward in our walk with God.

In a race there is no looking back.

You do not spend time remembering long hours of practice to run the race to your fullest; the hours of practice make us strong and instill the movements and rhythms of the run into every fiber of our being.

But unlike the runners of a race we are not strong alone. Rather, it is Christ in us who gives us strength and makes us strong.

There are struggles and memories in returning home. A fear of not only returning home, but of returning to "the way things used to be".

My application from this verse is not one I can do but rather one I can pray for Christ to do in me: I must lay down the things holding me to the past and run towards this future with Christ uninhibited by the fears of the flesh. In remembrance not dwelling on the things of the past fearfully, but remembering the triumphs of my God over those fears which once held me.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:1-2
Written April 17, 2012

---
You have rescued me
from the darkness
placed me in the son

All my fears and failures
are kissed by your light
burn it away
burn it away
my God
of glory and light!

My love and delight
perfect are you
merciful and true
perfect are you

perfect are you
who has washed me clean
purified me
freed me from the chains
of darkness

I have been burned
by the kiss of the light
of you

Jesus Christ
Son shining so bright
My light

perfect and holy and just are you
perfect and holy, merciful God of love, my love goes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment